Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Working Mama and Back to School = Insanity


I am really thinking that I have reached my peak of insanity today. But I'm still smiling!! I have to; otherwise I'd probably have a nervous breakdown. So to keep my children safe, I have (kind of) locked myself in my computer room to take a break from the chaos in the rest of the house today. I say kind of because there isn't actually a lock on my bedroom door (computer room is located off of my bedroom), there's actually no door handle whatsoever on my door...it's held shut by the humidity in the house right now and seems to be just enough to keep nosy kids out, for now.

I expected chaos when I decided to go back to work. All though it's only part time and only a few days a week, I knew there would be back lash from my ever loving children reacting to my being gone from the house. Gasp, what? Mom won't be home to clean up and make dinner?? Whatever shall we do?? <fall over in fainting mode while sobbing hysterically> I must say, they handled it fairly well, at first. And they actually handle me being gone a few hours in the evening fairly well, it's once I'm home again that all hell breaks loose. They can't get far enough up my rear end when I'm home and it is driving me to the point of madness! Until next week, I'm home all day Monday thru Wednesday, but that doesn't seem to be enough. Once school is back in full swing next week, I'll be working more, but it will be during the day while they are attending their institutions of higher education. I will still be working evenings Thursday - Sunday. Things are going to only get worse once school starts tomorrow.

Ahhhh, school, such a lovely subject to discuss. Most kids spend the entire school year counting down the days to their next summer vacation. I count the days of summer vacation back to the first day of school! For most of the summer the kids stay busy with sports, summer school, swimming, and time spent with friends. Then comes August....it seems to be the month when my children have run out of things to do and suddenly come down with "bored" syndrome. I usually have a quick cure to bored syndrome (bs, lol) in the form of some good old fashioned cleaning chores. The fun ones like dishes, laundry, scrubbing toilets, pulling weeds in the flower bed, etc. This works for a couple of weeks. Then suddenly it's about two weeks until school starts. It's once again the time to start getting back into a schedule. Ahhhhhh, scheduled sleep and awake times? School orientations? No more endless days of sleepovers and late night movies? Whatever shall we do now? I'll tell you what my kids do....drive me to the brink of choosing: do I leave my computer and the safety of this quiet room or should I just go strap on a straight jacket and save myself some trouble.

Today is the day before the first day of school. It's what I have decided is the worst day of the entire year. Utter chaos, rowdy and excessively loud, can't settle down and get anything done kind of day. The time to make daily time tables so everything needed to get done daily gets done daily. I started the day out with a normal summer bs chore list. Dishes, floors, laundry, and getting the house spic n span so once they leave for school tomorrow, I can fix it all and it will be clean for at least a few hours a day! But because they are anticipating the first day of school, trying to get them to focus on anything for more than a few minutes is nearly impossible. My boys have been washing the same 15 dishes for over an hour....I hope they're really sparkling. Nothing has been checked off as completed on the bs list of chores. They are at each others throats one minute and in the next bouncing off the walls unable to completely dry a single dish. It is enough to drive me absolutely CRAZY! So instead of the straight jacket today, I chose the semi quiet solitude - until someone needs something, has to tattle on someone or I can no longer stand the bickering!

Happy beginning of the school year...until the insanity of the next summer begins again.

No comments:

Post a Comment