Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Silence is Deafening

Everyday I long for peace and quiet...with 5 very active children, my days are never dull. During the day I home school Nicole and have the 2 year old terror climbing the walls. After school there is choir practice, sports practices and games to attend, and a multitude of other extra curricular activities and appointments. With Tony on the road a lot, I don't get many chances to have a minute to myself. I mean this literally, as even with the bathroom door closed and locked there is someone crying, calling my name or talking to me through the door. By the time kids bedtimes roll around I'm so tired I go to bed right after they do. I do try and get up in the morning before I have to wake up the kids but most of the time the snooze button wins or one of them is all ready awake and waiting for breakfast.

This weekend was a little different. Brooke, Nicole and Nathan are all at their Dad's house for the weekend and won't be home until 6 tonight. Tyler spent the night with his Grandpa, so it was just little man and I for most of the day. Yesterday it rained, snowed and sleeted outside which doesn't help with my ambition to get things accomplished, especially on a weekend. So Brandon and I lounged around most of the day reading books, watching The Wiggles and other cartoons and had a Mommy/Brandon bonding day and went to bed pretty early. This morning I woke up to sunshine and a renewed energy. We started out the day with laundry and sweeping and all that fun stuff. Brandon is a big helper, or he tries to be anyway. He's very independent and wants to do everything by himself...too bad this stage doesn't last long. When they’re finally old enough to do their chores without help, no one wants to do them. But anyway, now he's napping and I'm cleaning away and the silence is deafening! Can it really be too quiet in your house? As much as I complain about the constant chaos and noise, times like this make me realize that I love it all! I feed off of their energy in order to keep mine going and all of this silence today, makes me want to wait until the little guy wakes up to finish cleaning.

But I'm also not crazy....I will not wake a sleeping toddler! Most of the time it takes most of my energy to get him calmed down enough to take a nap. But today he fell asleep all on his own. He must be wiped out from cleaning all day! So for now, I will crank up the radio and continue on my way and wait for all of the noise to once again surround me later this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment